Saturday, October 29, 2011

A School Field Trip to the Zane Cabin

On October 24, I had the pleasure. . . No, I had the distinct honor of accompanying my daughter's kindergarten class to the Zane Cabin. I had no idea what to expect. My oldest daughter, Madeline, loves history. She is truly her momma's little girl. But, my kindergartner, Julie, has told me multiple times that she gets tired of our little trips to historic places. She has also told me that she does not want to visit anymore battlefields, but, mind you, that is a story for another day.

Anyway, I went to Zanesfield, Ohio last Monday with the St. Johns kindergarten. And, it was a lot of fun. Our morning started with a brisk game of skip-to-my-lou. The children, all dressed in period garb, circled 'round their teacher, Mrs. Walker, and began to clap and sing. Then the girls and boys divided into two lines. Each pair would bow and curtsy and then take hands and dance. Oh, how much fun they all had!

Soon we heard the clip-clop of horses walking up the road. A covered wagon soon came into view. The kids were soon clamoring up the backside of the wagon, and then they were off! Mrs. Walker went with the children while the parents stayed behind to set the table for a genuine pioneer meal. The children were all singing when they returned, "She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes!" After we had taken pictures with the horses and washed hands, the children filled the cabin. Lunch consisted of a hearty beef stew, corn bread, cheese, and raw vegetables.

But, soon the children were back out in the yard. Children were singing, laughing, and dancing! Oh, to be that young again! A game of tug-o-war soon ensued. The first match as won by a lot of giggling girls, while the second match was dominated by the boys.

And, then it was time for candle making - the old fashioned way. The children lined up with strings and walked round and round the table while dipping into pots of molten wax. The very ambitious children had soon made a dozen candles to take home - one a piece.

After clean-up, the children were once again given tasks that their great grandparents might have enjoyed yesteryear. Children sat outside the cabin on a bench to sew. Some came inside to write letters with a quill pen. And, others sat down with slates to practice their primer letters.

But, all to soon, it was time to return to school. So, the children set down their slate boards, samplers, and quill pens and climbed into modern day cars for transport back to the future, so to speak.

I was truly amazed by the day. My Julie was glowing! She was able to tell me all about the cabin we had visited. She was enjoying history, just as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment