Sunday, September 1, 2013

Appendicitis in Chuckery, Ohio

I had intended to keep writing posts for this blog all summer.  But, sometimes even the best of intentions take a back seat to reality.  My oldest daughter suffered a dangerous attack of appendicitis in June.  Her appendix did rupture, unbeknownst to me.  And, she appeared to get better.  Then, a few days after the rupture, she got very ill.  I rushed her to the hospital.  And, after many diagnostic tests, she was transferred to another hospital that specializes in pediatrics.  There, I found out that the rupture had happened many days earlier.  My daughter's abdomen was filled with infection.  Surgery was eminent.  A week after the first surgery, three more infections appeared.  So, once again my daughter needed to have surgery.  Today I thank God for living in a time that modern medicine was able to save my daughter.  I have read too many death certificates, obituaries, and gravestones that reflect the prevalence of this illness in pioneer times.  And, too often, children were sent to an early grave.  Thank God my daughter has recovered!

No comments:

Post a Comment