Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What happened to Mt. Olive Christian Church?

I grew up in the United Methodist Church. And, as an adult, I joined St. Paul Lutheran Church, a part of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. So, I have found it easy to find the history of the Methodist and Lutheran churches in Darby Township, Union County, Ohio. But, there once was a church called the Mt. Olive Christian Church. How do I find out more about this pioneer church?

From the local history books, I have discovered that the Mt. Olive Church was of the New Light denomination. It was established on December 11, 1869 at the old Harris School. Reverend William Webb served as the first pastor of this pioneer church. Founding members included J. Q. Adams, Warren Harris, Jacob Brown, Amos Brown, Isaiah Brown, Silas Brown, Solomon Brown, Joel C. Conklin, George W. DeBolt, Eli McNier, and David Reece. This congregation dedicated a wood frame church building on December 25, 1870.

But, there my trail goes cold. What happened to this church? Hopefully someone will read this post and be able to help me with the missing details!

No comments:

Post a Comment