Thursday, March 15, 2012

Census Records

Okay, I guess I need to make a confession. I was in a BAD mood the day I filled out my questionnaire for the last census. I hastily wrote that there were 8 people living at our address. I did not fill out any more information than that. And, now I am regretting this hasty response. Years from now I am sure my descendants will be talking about loony Grandma Rebekah and how she just scribbled across the census form very limited information.

My regret comes as I have spent the last few months pouring over census records. I have been following my ancestors from east to west and then back east again. Had my ancestors refused to give information on those in their families, my journey across the country through the census records may not have been possible. And, so, I apologize to the future generations of my family.

I am now anxiously awaiting the release of the 1940 US Federal Census. I have a few questions for my grandparents and great grandparents that might only be answered through the information provided in the census. What will you look for? I know what I am searching to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment