Sunday, November 13, 2011

Loyal through the Toughest of Times

Have you ever thought about what it means to protect and defend the United States? I often lie awake at night, unable to sleep because I am thinking about the blessings I have. I live in a "free" nation. I am able to worship anyway I choose. I have a husband and daughters who love me. And, I have the comforts and protection of a sturdy home. I have all of this because of the United States military that defends my rights each and every day. Every person in a military uniform stands watch over my life.

Several years ago I worked on a very humbling project. I was granted the honor of talking with military families in Union County, Ohio. Each family has a very special place in my heart. They allowed me to meet with them to discuss loved ones who went off to war. Many of these families never saw their loved ones again. But, all of these families opened doors to their lives and let me in. So, today I continue to salute the military heroes of Union County. Today I salute Sergeant Charles G. Riedmiller. He was one of the fortunate because he was able to come home.


SERGEANT CHARLES G. RIEDMILLER - The Bataan Death March

Charles G. Riedmiller was born on May 13, 1917 near Milford Center, Ohio. He was born to Fred and Catherine Riedmiller. AS a child, he attended the township schools in Union Township, graudatint from Union Local High School in 1935. He joined the United States Army on January 30, 1941. Note, he joined the United States Army several months before the bombing of Pearl Harbor by the Japanese.

Charles Riedmiller was a member of Company C in the 192nd Armored Tank Battalion. He was initially stationed at Camp Polk in Louisiana. But, prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor, his battalion went to the Philippines. His battalion was on the Bataan Peninsula when Pearl Harbor was attacked. His battalion fought the Japanese from December 7, 1941 until April 9 1942 in an attempt to keep the area from Japanese control. He was captured by Japanese forces, and from April 10 to April 15, 1942 he was a part of the Bataan Death March. He survived this ordeal. And, then spent the next seven months in POW camps doing forced labor.

Fortunately, Sergeant Charles G. Riedmiller survived WWII. He was released to American Forces on November 26, 1942. He continued serving in the United States Army until his honorable discharge in May of 1946. While serving in the United States Army, Sergeant Riedmiller received the Purple Heart, a Bronze Star, a Distinguished Unit Citation, and three Presidential Unit Citations.

No comments:

Post a Comment