Monday, November 7, 2011

Where is Irwin, Ohio?

There is a coffee shop at my church - St. Paul Lutheran Church. This is in the tiny little hamlet of Chuckery, Ohio. And, though not the subject of my story, this little coffee shop is the reason that I have set out today to learn more about Irwin, Ohio. I drive through Irwin every time I go into Mechanicsburg to buy more coffee for the St. Paul - HeBrews Coffee Shop.


Irwin, Ohio

Irwin, Ohio is a small village in the southwest corner of Union Township in Union County, Ohio. This small village is located at the intersection of State Routes 161 and 4. There is a US Post Office located in this village with a zipcode of 43029. However, the rumor of closing this office and transferring mail delivery to Mechansicsburg, Ohio is currently the talk of the town.

Irwin was founded by John Irwin in 1808. It was first called Irwin Station as a stop on the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis Railroad. The village is not and never has been incorporated. It is a platted village, but the plat has never been recorded in the Union County offices. A post office was first established in the village on May 15, 1858. David Clements served as the first postmaster. At its height of prosperity, Irwin boasted a Methodist Church, a post office, a sawmill, a grain elevator, a blacksmith, a grocer, a doctor, a school, and a shoe shop. Today nearly all that remain are houses, a post office, and the quaint Caldwell Memorial United Methodist Church.

There is more to Irwin's importance in Ohio agriculture. But, my time is short today. The story of Irwin's place in Ohio agriculture will have to wait until another day.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Rebekah! I just discovered this blog today. The amazing thing about Irwin is that there still IS a post office. Thanks for the bit of history lesson!
    Janet, your Chuckery neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rebekah;

    Thank you for posting this information. Having recently purchased the building at the far right of your above-posted photo, I am very interested in any additional information you may have about Irwin's history.

    Regards;

    Andrew@IrwinStationHall.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in this town. Thanks for the bit of history. My mom worked at the post office. We loved to go to Bennett's store and get candy when I was little. Im sad its only houses now other than the post office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rebekah I was wondering if you might know who owns the old school house today ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m pretty sure it’s just abondoned now

      Delete
  5. I was born and raised in Irwin. The 50's. Things were so simple then . Our house is gone now , thanks for the info .

    ReplyDelete